Below are some of the dos and don’ts with offshore software development services.
The Do’s in Offshore Software Development:
1. Before you proceed with offshoring, consider low costs sourcing, especially for vital operations. The entire low cost sourcing could be compared between offshoring and an alternative approach after taking some thins into consideration. These things may include equipment, travel, facilities and remote management expenses.
2. Take into consideration to move tactical service area of a department or business before you move into strategic functions like information technology and engineering. A lot of companies begin by offshoring information technology, probably the most sensitive and difficult area to transfer offshore. Highly administrative functions like distributing and creating customer statements could be moved offshore fast with low risks. Many organizations have some high operational, repeatable process that could be moved with lower risks.
3. Try to concentrate on organization development before you cut costs. Focus on long-term strategies that will make a successful company instead of taking the lower cost route immediately.
4. Make sure to document processes before moving them offshore. Make certain the processes to be transferred offshore are well documented, well understood and works properly.
5. Make certain the offshore service provider has the right equipment, such as capable personal computers, conference phones with remote mics and all the right software.
6. Test the new offsite team’s knowledge on documentation. They should be able to provide you information before they implement it. The test could be a simple verbal interview of the new offshore provider by an expert of the subject matter.
The Don’ts in Offshore Software Development:
1. Don’t offshore for the simple reason of saving money alone. Your goals should be to improve or expand your service or business in an offshore market.
2. Do not ignore the risks in moving projects offshore. Consider employing an extensive risk management method in an offshoring project.
3. Don’t move whole vital functions offshore. If you do, then there are considerable risks in doing so.
4. Do not ignore security risks. Keep in mind, moving to low cost countries could mean less protection with your intellectual property and would require heightened security measures or it could discourage moving of security sensitive functions to the country.
5. Do not hold on to poor workers or performers. Never allow weak offshore providers to struggle forever if they could not succeed within several weeks or months. If possible, replace them.
6. Do not ignore the risks of a high turnover. As the low cost sourcing develops, your experienced low cost employees will be high in demand, especially in sturdy economic times. Remember, when an employee leaves for better pay and benefits, they often bring colleagues along.
Most of the tips in Offshore Software Development apply regardless if you are outsourcing services to a new supplier or establishing a new offshore group or adopt low cost sourcing models.
Indian offshore software development companies specialize in building customized solutions for clients. Developers analyze an existing information technology system and comprehend underlying concerns. The right software solution is created and implemented in the client’s system for improving business or work practices.